Monday, May 30, 2011

Quick Blog About Pie


Okay I have to share some secrets of pie crust making. Since I was old enough to bake I have found pie crust a mystery... first because I thought it was gross and I couldn't understand why anyone would want to eat it, then to make it was so complicated! And it never turned out right.

Well my last pregnancy I craved pie, and became obsessed with finding the perfect pie crust. Once I found pie crust that I loved I was addicted, and suddenly understood the obsession! I am a "do it yourself" kind of gal, especially since getting my husband to make last minute trips out for pie would only last as long as the pregnancy.... so I began my search for recipes.

When my father in law was coming into town, and rhubarb was in season I was really inspired to try this pie thing out for real.. so I googled my heart out, bought all the ingredients and stumbled upon a recipe for what I think is the best pie crust ever!! It's made with butter instead of shortening, and since I ALWAYS have butter on hand this was the perfect one for me. With alot of prayer and endless reading over and over and over again, I got this recipe down, and made him a pie! I WAS IN HEAVEN!

Because I have not forgotten the fabulousness of this pie, I decided to make it once again tonight, this time I took some pictures! Enjoy, and hope you try out this recipe, it's one of my favorites!

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie (taken from allrecipes.com)

The real trick to great crust, FREEZE the butter ahead of time and use a cheese grater to grate it in to the flour, don't over work it, and use ICE water!

Buttery Flaky Pie Crust

Ingredients

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, chilled and diced
1/4 cup ice water
Directions

In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water, a tablespoon at a time, until mixture forms a ball. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
Roll dough out to fit a 9 inch pie plate. Place crust in pie plate. Press the dough evenly into the bottom and sides of the pie plate.

Filling

Ingredients

1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 pound fresh rhubarb, chopped
2 pints fresh strawberries
1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
2 tablespoons butter
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons white sugar
Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
In a large bowl, mix flour and sugar. Add strawberries and chopped rhubarb. Toss with sugar and flour and let stand for 30 minutes.
Pour filling into pie crust. Dot top with butter, and cover with top crust. Seal edges of top and bottom crust with water.
Apply yolk to top of pie, using a pastry brush. Sprinkle with sugar. Cut small holes in top to let steam escape.
Bake at 400 degrees F (200 degrees C), for 35 to 40 minutes, or until bubbly and brown. Cool on rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment